Working in Partnership
Sports Development lies within the Lifelong Learning, Culture and Sports Section of the Education and Social Care Department within Moray Council. The team is made up of:
- Sports Development Officer
- Rugby Development Officer
- Community Sports Hub Development Officer
- Macmillan Move More Development Officer
- and a team of Sports Coaches and Assistants
The Sports Development Officer for Moray sits on the MSC operational Steering group Committee and keeps us informed of all strategic developments for sports in Moray.
Active Schools is a national network working across Scotland, and locally across all schools in Moray. Aiming to provide more and higher quality opportunities for children and young people to participate in sports before, during and after school. The team works to increase availability to children by recruiting volunteers, and also work hard to build partnerships with clubs and other community organisations. This creates a ‘pathway’ for pupils to continue their participation in sport once they leave school.
Active Schools is joint-funded by sportScotland and the Moray Council.
Physical Activity, Sport and Health Strategy for Moray 2016-2026.
The vision of this strategy is that ‘Physical Activity and Sport are embedded in the lives of the Moray community’. MSC is one of many organisations working in partnership to deliver the 5 Outcomes of the strategy are as follows;
- We provide a strategic approach to the operation and management of our sport and leisure facilities (both natural and built environment).
- We encourage, enable and support opportunities for people in Moray to participate, progress and achieve in sport/physical activity.
- We develop, support and strengthen both the paid and volunteer physical activity and sporting workforce in Moray.
- We recognise, highlight and showcase how sport/physical activity can benefit people and the local community and how it is intrinsic to daily life.
- We provide strategic direction, coordination and support to achieve our vision of embedding sport and physical activity into the lives of the Moray community.
MSC will support the Sports Development Team through;
- providing a facility and activities for people of all ages to participate in
- supporting sports clubs to thrive and develop
- train and mentor sports coaches and volunteers
- develop partnerships to pull resources, skills and expertise together for the benefit of the community
- developing talent and excellence in sports
Community Sports Hubs
The ‘Hub’ is essentially a collective of progressive sports clubs working together in a local community. MSC will naturally sit in the Elgin Community Sports Hub due to its location but will participate across all the sports hubs in assisting the development of our key sports. Each Community Sports Hub is unique but the common thread is that each works to the following five principles:
- Growth in participation
- Engage the local community
- Promote community leadership
- Offer a range of sporting opportunities
- Bring all appropriate (key) partners/ groups/people together.
Interested in getting involved?
If your club is interested in becoming part of a Community Sports Hub in Moray or you think your community could be developed into a Hub, read more
Young Hub Leaders Programme (YHL)
A fresh approach to ensuring that every community sports hub has the views and opinions of young people at the heart of the decision-making process. In helping shape the future of hubs and of sport in our local communities, the YHL representatives consult with other young people at the hub. Presenting their views by joining the committee and by leading on specific roles within the hub.